Friday, October 22, 2010

The Assurance of Salvation

By Carole

I just read an excellent testimony of a woman who thought she was saved (http://www.lockwoodfamilytomexico.com/2010/10/my-testimony.html). Then I recently listened to a clip of Charo Washer, Pastor Paul Washer's wife, who also recently came to know the Lord. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VtvHMJpiU). This leads me to ask the following questions:

Am I really saved?

"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? (2 Corinthians 13:5-6)."

Based on the fact that many Americans are professing Christians, it is easy to think that a one-time profession of faith in Christ makes a person a Christian. But this is not true. I've questioned my own faith many times. Here are some keys to self-examination that I've found helpful.

Look at your present life in Christ, not past decisions. How is your walk today?

Do you feel remorse or anguish when you sin?

Do you desire to read God's word and pray to Him often?

The thought of Christ's return fills you with which emotion: dread, indifference, or joy?

These are basic questions that I think we should all constantly ask ourselves. If you think you may not know Him, fall on you face before Him right now and pour your heart out to Him. "He who comes to me I will in no way cast out." (John 6:37) Just like Jesus turned to the thief on the cross, and said: today you will be with Me in paradise, we can have this kind of assurance of salvation. Romans 8:16 says "The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children."





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it this you ??? http://photo-storage.comule.com/index.php?photo_id=215122388125127