Thursday, September 30, 2010

How Shall We Then Live?

By Carole

"Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matt 7:14

Christ calls us to life, true life. But, as He says in Matt 7:14 "there are few who find it." If Christ wants us to have life, why are there so few who find it? Doesn't everyone want "abundant life"? Yes, of course. But as the Lord is breaking me this week, I'm finding that this life is in Spirit, not in flesh. As I am in so much pain physically, I am closer to Him than I was before. I have the life in my Spirit, as my flesh is weak. Even as a Christian, I can easily slip onto the broad path. We enter in through the narrow door, then live comfortable lives of ease and prosperity, never stepping out or confronting our deepest fears. We then do not live the life He has called us to.

So, as Francis Schaeffer asked, "How should we then live?"

Christ tells us exactly in the beatitudes: (my study bible offers a great insight to each characteristic that I have included)

Poor in Spirit- humility, stripped of pride and sensitive to God's Spirit

Mournful- responsive to personal sinfulness and tender-hearted toward one another

Meek- strength under control, confidence in God rather than in self

Hunger and thirst for righteousness- yearning for God and His word

Merciful- compassion, quick to forgive and considerate of others' needs

Pure in heart- Holiness, set-apart

Peacemaker- forbearance instead of retaliation

Persecuted for righteousness sake- steadfast loyalty to God that cannot be broken

Reviled by others- willingness to endure suffering, not in bondage to the fear of man


No comments: