Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Purpose of Pain and Suffering

By Carole

I have a severe knee problem - dislocating knee cap- that was made worse after labor and delivery. Running around my home after a toddler, and caring for a newborn has it's own challenges. But now I have a lot of pain, and I can't walk normally. This caused me to cry out for God's strength, and led me to the following question:

Why does God use pain and suffering?

It easy to say that God has a purpose in pain and suffering, especially when you're not in pain. I always believed this- and I still do- but now in the midst of the struggle, I find myself asking why. Why does use pain and suffering? Why can't he use the comfortable easy path? The Lord is showing me that it's because of the war against our flesh.

God loved Jacob, so He wrestled with him and broke him. God loved the Israelites, so He made them wander in the dessert. God loved Paul, so He blinded Him on the road to Damascus. God loved the world, so He sent His Son to suffer and die and take our punishment, the atoning sacrifice- as it is written, "Although He was a Son, He learned obedience through what He suffered..." (Heb 5:8)

Suffering is the tool the Lord uses on earth to bring us to Himself, and to make us more and more like Him. Our flesh is still sinful, so it must be conquered. More and more I'm seeing how blessed I am when I'm weak, because His strength is so much stronger than mine.

Consider the following verses:

"Woe to you who are rich , for you have received your consolation." (Luke 6:24)
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:3)

"Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry." (Luke 6:25)
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." (Matt 5:6)

"Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep." (Luke 6:25)
"Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh." (Luke 6:21)

May the Lord continue to break us, working in us the fellowship of His suffering, that we may be conformed to His beautiful image.

No comments: